[mod_python] A question about running 2 apps with mod_python

Chris Guin cguin at bbn.com
Tue Jan 15 14:26:58 EST 2008

We've recently switched to using worker mpm instead of prefork, and
things have mostly been going smoothly.  Our server is running 2
Django applications, one of which is forum software.  Their URL
spaces are entirely distinct, and each "Location" in httpd.conf has
been set to use one of two different PythonInterpreters depending on
the app it services.

We've noticed that regular accesses to the forum pages will randomly
(about 50% of the time) call up the 404 page for the other
application.  We've noticed no similar problems in the reverse
direction (from the other app to the forums).  Refreshing the 404
page eventually gets us to the forum.

The randomness of the error suggests to me that it has to do with
which httpd.worker process or thread is picking up the request, but I
can't explain what difference it would make.  Since we have switched
to worker from prefork, I suspect this may be at fault somehow.

Any insight would be tremendously appreciated!

Chris Guin