[mod_python] Performance improvements: dynamic linking?

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Wed Jan 9 17:20:02 EST 2008

On 10/01/2008, Jevgenijs Rogovs <jevgenijsr at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hello everyone,
>
> I'm experiencing performance issues with Trac (http://trac.edgewall.org/) ,
> which were nailed down to mod_python, so now I'm looking for ways to
> increase its performance.  First of all, it looks like on the system in
> question it is linked statically (judging by the size of mod_python.so being
> 4,991,304 bytes), but I'd like to build it for dynamic linking. The question
> is - how do I do that? No matter what I try, the result seems to be the
> same...
>
> Here's the environment: RH Enterprise Release 3 (kernel 2.4.20-8), Apache
> HTTPD 2.0.54, Python 2.5.1, mod_python 3.3.1.

The problem is that you didn't configure and install Python such that
it generated a shared library for Python. Nothing to do with
mod_python.

For details see section 'Lack Of Python Shared Library' of:

  http://code.google.com/p/modwsgi/wiki/InstallationIssues

This is for mod_wsgi (which performs better again than mod_python for
WSGI hosting), but still relevant.

So, fix your Python installation. That is all you should need to do.