[mod_python] python exceptions cause Apache to crash

Jason Carver ynj0qeh02 at sneakemail.com
Mon Aug 4 14:51:23 EDT 2008

Hi all,

I am having the craziest error, confirmed on both a LAMPython and WAMPython
setup: exceptions in mod_python are causing Apache to crash hard.  Even
stranger is that the exceptions have to meet a few specific conditions to
cause Apache to crash.

As best I can tell those conditions include:

   - raising an exception (this problem always goes away if the exception is
   commented out)
   - having the exception be inside an if-block that tests a dictionary (the
   problem goes away if I do something like """if 'hello' == 'hello': raise
   Exception('goodbye')""")
   - catching the exception and logging it using the python built-in
   logging.exception(e) (the problem goes away if I comment out the logger)

Apache does not write anything to its error.log, so it was a bit of an
adventure to discover all these elements.

Any ideas?

Cheers,
Jason