[mod_python] Newbie Question

mail-lists mail-lists at peachnet.com
Thu Apr 10 15:08:51 EDT 2008

Sean Allen wrote:

> On Apr 10, 2008, at 10:40 AM, mail-lists wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> I have a quick question and it might be very silly:
>>
>> How do I pass variables between pages short of building a query string
>> into the URL? Is there a way to set variables in the request object?
>>
>> What I'm trying to do is the following:
>>
>> user fills out a form
>> form calls saveform function
>
> when? via an onSubmit handler?

no, no JavaScript at all, sorry. I guess I wasn't  very clear. Form
action=saveform which is a python function ( def saveform(req) )

>> input is validated
>
> where is the input validated? in 'saveform' that is a javascript function?

input is validated in saveform.

>> if not valid input return to the form with user values filled out.
>>

> what exactly is 'return' here?
> from a server side script? from a javascript validation routine?

return is a util.redirect back to the form.

My question is how do I pass request variables BACK to the form short of
  using a query string.

ie. is it possible to do something like the following:

req_data=util.FieldStorage(req)
req_data["form_item"]="ThisisastringIwanttopopulatetheformwith"

I've tried this obviously but it doesn't work. I'm not sure if something
like this SHOULD work because I don't quite understand whether or not
the request object persists across the redirect.

I hope I'm asking this in the right way :)

Thank you