[mod_python] mod_python or apache scalability?

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Mon Oct 1 22:16:26 EDT 2007

On 02/10/2007, Alec Matusis <matusis at matusis.com> wrote:
> > FWIW, I personally would try and move from prefork to worker MPM as
> > the number of Apache child processes you are running with is to my
> > mind excessive.
>
> I will certainly try that, but not till next week, since it involves
> recompiling apache.
> I will upgrade to apache 2.2 and mod_python 3.3.1 at the same time- I am not
> sure if they have any performance improvements over 2.0/mod_python 3.1.4
> combination.

Version 3.1.4 of mod_python has various bugs in it which have been
fixed in 3.3.1, so upgrading would be a good idea anyway. Just make
sure you test your code on 3.3.1 before hand and specifically take not
of any issues with finding Python modules as module importer has
changed in a few subtle ways. See description of
apache.import_module() in:

  http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/pyapi-apmeth.html

Also, how your configure Apache 2.2 for authentication is a bit
different if you are using features such as Basic auth, so watch out
for that as well as that trips up some people, especially if they are
running their own custom mod_python authenhandler.