[mod_python] Setting HTTP response status line

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sun May 6 18:34:21 EDT 2007

On 07/05/07, Roger Binns <rogerb at rogerbinns.com> wrote:
> > What is more confusing is why people keep using old versions of
> > mod_python
>
> 3.2.10 wasn't released that long ago.

About nine months ago. :-)

> It is the default one supplied
> with Feisty which went into freeze a few months ago (ie before 3.3.1 was
> released).  If 3.3.1 was guaranteed bug free at release etc then I'm
> sure they could have sneaked it in, but I doubt it or any other software
> can make those guarantees :-)

There haven't been any complaints about mod_python 3.3.1 and we have
no immediate plans as such to come out with another bug fix release in
the near future. Yes there are still known issues with mod_python but
more to do with lack of functionality than outright bugs and certainly
not in the core stuff that everyone uses.

> > For the status line message the answer is no. Why would you want to
> > change the message from the normal one anyway?
>
> So I can use it in my testing.  The status line is intended to be
> targeted at machines and hence can be terse.  The body is longer winded
> and targeted at people.  (Sure it can be done either way but it was just
> something I hoped to be able to do).

Consider setting a special response header just when doing testing. For example:

The 'X-' prefix is generally accepted as being for non standard
headers. Your test client can then extra information from that.