[mod_python] Compiling mod_python on 64bit RHEL 4

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Thu Mar 8 18:55:45 EST 2007

On 09/03/07, Posey, Jake E <Jake.E.Posey at boeing.com> wrote:
> I've asked my users to do that but unfortunately they say they can't
> upgrade.  If we can't get this resolved then we would have to rebuild
> the box and install the 32bit OS, which is what we have running on the
> other boxes.

Is the version of Apache you have installed simply a prebuilt 32bit
version or was it specifically compiled on 64bit version of OS with
the 64bit compiler?

One possibility is that the apxs/libtool setup in Apache that is being
used is actually for 32bit OS where objects don't need to be PIC,
whereas it needs to be PIC on 64bit OS. Thus, you may need to fix up
your Apache installation for it to work. Otherwise you may be able to
hack the required -fPIC flag into the mod_python Makefile somewhere
where it will be used for code compilation.