[mod_python] PythonPath and importer in 3.3

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Feb 6 15:11:07 EST 2007

Very quickly as plane goes in about an hour..... :-)

See comments below.

Dirk van Oosterbosch, IR labs wrote ..
> Hi,
>
> I am not sure if this the right list to ask, since 3.3 is still in
> beta, but after reading the documentation about PythonPath and
> import_module I'm running into problems as I try to follow the
> directions expressed in the documentation.
>
> First off, let me state that when I upgraded to mod_python 3.3, I was
> happily surprised that everything just worked like before, with only
> changes visible in the log file. However, as I tried to fix something
> (PythonPath and importing modules) which didn't seem to cause
> problems, things broke down and I can't get them to work according to
> the docs.
> "Why trying to fix it then, when there was no problem?", you ask.
> Good question ;-)
>
> My initial setup was like this:
> in httpd.conf:
> ====================
> <IfModule mod_python.c>
> 	PythonPath "sys.path + ['/Users/me/Sites/www/python/']"
> 	PythonTransHandler translate
>
> in the .htaccess file in .../www/python/:
> ====================
> AddHandler mod_python .py
> PythonHandler main
>
> Then in main.py (the main handler which is called for every request):
> ====================
> # for loading a Cheetah template
> templatesFolderLocation = "/Users/me/Sites/www/python/templates"
> if templatesFolderLocation not in sys.path:
> 	sys.path.append(templatesFolderLocation)
> modulename = 'page'
> try:
> 	module = __import__(modulename, globals(), locals(), [modulename])
> except ImportError:
> templateClass = getattr(module, name)
>

> As said, this code works. Though it is not very nice and clean, and I
> understood I had to go this way, while I was waiting for mod_python
> 3.3. Now I got python 3.3 and I read the documentation about
> apache.import_module() and about PythonPath, and I want to change the
> code so it will make proper use of the new importer.
>
> The first thing I noticed in the docs is that the PythonPath
> shouldn't contain paths which are in the document tree.

This is only really an issue if the modules in the directory in the
document tree are being imported directly by mod_python importer
by reference in Python*Handler, by mod_python.publisher or by
direct use by apache.import_module(). If the modules in said
directory aren't being included in this way, it is okay to list
a subdirectory somewhere in the document tree in PythonPath.

The important thing is that you want to avoid having modules imported
through both mechanisms.

One step to ensure that anything in a directory isn't used by mod_python
in some way inadvertantly by mod_python.publisher, is to add into the
directory a .htaccess file containing:

  deny from all

If using own handler, not so big a deal.

I have managed to get Cheetah to use mod_python importer from within its
generated code before. The trick is to use import_module() instead of
__import__ to import the Cheetah template top level code file.

Ie., don't use:

  module = __import__(modulename, globals(), locals(), [modulename])

use:

  module = apache.import_module('/actual/path.py')

Then have the templates directory in:

  PythonOption mod_python.importer.path ['/actual/path/to/templates']

Try playing with that. If after my nine hour flight to next airport
I find some free internet access, I'll have a look to see how you went.

Anyway, hope I didn't muddle that because of being in a hurry.

Graham