[mod_python] Problem with .psp_

Bart scarfboy at gmail.com
Sat Dec 22 08:19:35 EST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 10:51 AM, Graham Dumpleton <graham.dumpleton at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 21/12/2007, Alec Matusis <matusis at yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > WSGI is the way Python is heading and way more hosting options available
> > for it.
> >
> > Does this mean that mod_python will become unmaintained or obsolete?
>
> One can still use mod_python as a way of hosting WSGI applications,
> although for Apache hosting mod_wsgi is a more purpose built solution
> for that. There are some things obviously that mod_python can do that
> mod_wsgi can't though because the point of mod_python is to allow
> programming against Apache interfaces and not restricted WSGI
> interface.
>
> I think the bigger challenge to mod_python is Python 3.0. The problem
> there is the change to the standard string type being unicode, with
> byte strings being distinct and more limited than current string type
> in Python 2.X.
>
> The mod_python interfaces are all going to have to be updated to cope
> with this change and it will probably mean that applications on top
> will also need to be changed. Same sort of changes will need to occur
> to a degree with WSGI applications as well but not as much because its
> interface is much more restricted in scope.
>
> What I would be concerned about is whether anyone would step forward
> to do the hard work on updating mod_python for Python 3.0. I know that
> I will not be that person as my priorities lie elsewhere these days.
> So, probably important for people to start thinking about and
> discussing what they would like to see happen with mod_python.

I'm guessing few people would even know what those changes are.

The unicode support thing ought to be simple - since it's
lacking right now, it just needs to be introduced right.
Of course, internally it's probably more complex.

I think it's going to be harder to keep mod_python together.
there is no benevolent dictator, so I fear things are just going
to get more complex (I already think m_p could stand a lot
of simplification - it's not something I'd suggest friends to use)
and sort of complexify itself out of relevance. Which is a pity.

--Bart