[mod_python] getting Windows username (REMOTE_USER)

Bart scarfboy at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 23:23:27 EST 2007

On Dec 10, 2007 2:31 AM, Brett Dixon <drunkirishmic420 at hotmail.com> wrote:

> In my python handler Directory directive, i have the AuthTpye set to basic,
> but thats about it.  I have tried "ntlm" but that hasnt done much.  Is there
> a windows specific auth handler?
HTTP auth has nothing to do with the operating system.

It seems to me you're confused about what you're asking. I certainly am :)
The fact that you said 'yes' to an either-or summary didn't help.

At first I figured you wanted to fetch the username that windows users use
for their  profile. However, I doubt this is your actual question,
because as far as I know, no setup at all does this. It'd be a privacy issue.

Your mention of moving back to IIS to get the feature makes me think
that you are thinking of checking the username/password that the user
gives the web server (exchanged via http auth) against an existing windows
domain controller (or similar) you have near your web server.

This is possible, but the http authtype is unrelated to this - the two forms
of authtype refer to how HTTP exchanges the authentication. A
browser-server thing, unrelated to what happens once the login
arrives at the server.

You can use one of various apache modules to make a particular
subsystem/server do the actual authentication (exactly which depends
on your wishes and setup. the one Graham mentioned is one of them).

In either case, we could be more effective if you described your wishes
and intent in a little more detail.

--Bart