[mod_python] getting Windows username (REMOTE_USER)

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Sun Dec 9 15:04:52 EST 2007

REMOTE_USER in PHP should be the same as req.user in mod_python.

The req.user attribute actually is 'user' attribute of internal Apache
request_rec structure. It is this value that is used to set
REMOTE_USER in CGI variable environments and presumably PHP.

This attribute isn't restricted to just HTTP Basic/Digest
authentication. Any authentication handler should be setting it
correctly, whether that be some special Windows specific
authentication mechanism or otherwise.

Do you have a Windows specific authentication handler enabled in your
Apache configuration?

Graham