[mod_python] Session Hanging Problems

Graham Dumpleton graham.dumpleton at gmail.com
Tue Dec 4 00:52:45 EST 2007

When you call req.write(), it defaults to flushing the data. Therefore
if you have a slow client or network issues then it may block waiting
to be able to flush out the data.

If your responses are not large, then use req.write(data, 0), ie.,
second argument of 0, to disable flushing. This will result in
response being buffered up in memory and only being flushed when the
whole request has completed.

Because it buffers in memory, you need to be careful with large

Other alternative is to buffer all output yourself in StringIO and
then join it back together and send it all in one go when whole
response ready, and potentially after having released session locks.
This is actually more efficient, memory wise and potentially speed
wise, than allowing req.write() to buffer it because Apache output
filter buckets have more overhead than Python list for buffering.

Graham