[mod_python] uneven speed results

Mike Looijmans nlv11281 at natlab.research.philips.com
Fri Apr 27 02:02:08 EDT 2007

Like Graham wrote, the prefork needs to load Python and your framework.

I usually configure Apache to use the worker MPM with many threads and
few processes. The threading of Python is good on single-CPU systems,
and for multi-CPU systems, just set the min number of processes to equal
the number of CPUs to compensate. This reduces the memory consumption of
Apache with mod_python considerably, aiding performance.

If you want a constant response time, you may want to consider using CGI
for rarely-used sites. The response will be slower, since starting the
interpreter takes about 20 ms. Since you report 150ms as shortest time,
I do not think this solution viable for your application.

Mike Looijmans
Philips Natlab / Topic Automation