[mod_python] python web site not responding

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Tue Sep 5 22:37:46 EDT 2006

Trevis Rothwell wrote ..
> Hi!
>
> I've done some Google searching on this topic, but am not entirely
> sure what terms to search for, so please accept the usual apology if
> this is covered somewhere that I haven't seen yet.  :-)
>
> I run my personal web site as a series of Python scripts and PSP
> pages, using mod_python, and it all works great.  I'm now working on
> building an online community website using Python/mod_python, and am
> finding that pages often don't load, with the browser going into an
> indefinite wait state.
>
> I've looked around and don't see any obviously offensive code (e.g.,
> infinite loops, etc.).
>
> It seems that if I restart Apache, then the site responds well for a
> short time of use, and then sails off into never-never land again.
>
> Any ideas?  Any where in particular to look at for debug info here?
>
> Thanks!

What version of mod_python/Apache are you using? If you use anything before
3.2.8 you may have problems, especially if using Win32 or worker MPM on a
UNIXish system.  The latest version is actually 3.2.10, so use that if you can.

Do you use sessions in your mod_python handlers or PSP pages? Do you use PSP
error pages? Do you have the PythonAutoReload option set to Off? Do you have
multiple distinct mod_python applications running under the same Apache server?
Have you isolated each application to run in a separate interpreter space using
PythonInterpreter?

Do you see any error messages in your Apache error logs?

The above information and anything else you can think of that might
be pertinent would help.