[mod_python] Trouble building mod_python from soruce on RHEL4 64bit

Christopher Taylor chtaylo3 at gmail.com
Thu Oct 19 10:46:10 EDT 2006

Hello all,

I'm running RHEL4 ES on a 2 proc x86_64 server.

I installed python 2.4 on top of python 2.3 with make altinstall so I
had to build mod_python to use /usr/bin/python2.4 instead of
/usr/bin/python (which points to /usr/bin/python2.3 for the sake of
not breaking RH).

Well, when I try and compile up mod_python it breaks when trying to
link in /usr/lib/libpython2.4.a:

/usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a(abstract.o):
relocation R_X86_64_32 against `a local symbol' can not be used when
making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC
/usr/lib/python2.4/config/libpython2.4.a: could not read symbols: Bad value
collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
apxs:Error: Command failed with rc=65536

Can someone please help with this?  I think it's a problem with the
configure script either for mod-python or python.  Not entirely sure.

Respectfully,
Christopher Taylor