[mod_python] possible memory leak?

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sat Oct 7 18:34:08 EDT 2006

On 08/10/2006, at 4:54 AM, ron wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I'm using mod_python with mpcp to run cherrypy behind apache.  I am
> noticing that the apache processes seem to keep growing.  Each apache
> process seems to grow from 100MB to over 300MB after a day of
> production
>  traffic.  Is there a possible memory leak in mod_python?  Could
> something in my app be leaking into apache/mod_python?  If it's the
> latter, I'm not clear as to what the mechanism would be since my
> understanding is that mod_python spawns completely new processes for
> each pre-fork process.
>
> Any hints on how to debug this memory issue?

There are some known memory leaks.

   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-172
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-181
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-182
   http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/MODPYTHON-184

These have been addressed in mod_python 3.3

All I can suggest at the moment is you set up a system which uses the
latest mod_python source code from Subversion source code repository
and see if the leaks go away.