[mod_python] whole site handlers and authentication

Richard Lewis richardlewis at fastmail.co.uk
Tue Nov 14 07:34:39 EST 2006

Hi there,

I'm thinking of providing an HTTP interface for database editting and was
wondering about how to use authentication.

Currently, my mod_python MySQL-backed site uses a handler inside a VirtualHost
which handles all requests like this:

<VirtualHost [ipaddr]:80>
    ServerName www.sara.uea.ac.uk
    DocumentRoot /var/webapps/sara

    SetHandler mod_python
    PythonPath 'sys.path+["/var/webapps/sara"]'

    PythonHandler sara.web
</VirtualHost>

meaning that all requests are handled by the sara.web module. (This module
uses URI regular expression pattern matching etc. etc. so request URI paths
don't map to the server directory layout in any way.)

I plan to implement a URI-controlled API where all "commands" will begin
with "/edit/". And I want to provide authentication for these commands (I
have a MySQL user database). Because I have this "whole site" handler, will
it be possible to use standard authentication directives? And will it be
possible to use the Directory directive for "/edit/" requests, as I don't
have actual directories?

If not, will it be possible to implement authentication manually with
mod_python using the HTTP specification:
http://www.ietf.org/rfc/rfc2617.txt
?

Any thoughts?

Cheers,