[mod_python] Just finished installing mod_python, and boy are my arms tired

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Sat Nov 4 08:34:18 EST 2006

Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> On 04/11/2006, at 7:30 AM, Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> Cavanagh, Sean (Sean) wrote:
>>> Hello all,
>>> I just wanted to mention a couple of un-documented hiccups that tripped
>>> me up during compile.  1.    Seems that mod_python needs an
>>> up-to-date flex; I had to upgrade
>>> to  2.5.33  (For the record, this is in the readme file, but not the
>>> html docs)
>>
>> Incorrect. Flex is listed in the index, and the flex requirement is
>> detailed in the docs.
>> http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/inst-configure.html#l2h-12
>>
>> As explained in the docs, you generally don't need flex unless you
>> modify with the psp_parser.l file. Unless you are using mod_python <
>> 3.2, configure will issue a warning about the wrong flex, but will
>> still proceed.
>
> With the caveat that if you check out source code from subversion
> rather than use the tarball, you usually need to go:
>
>   touch src/psp_parser.c
>
> to stop make wanting to rebuild it from the lex input file. This is
> because the checkout often seems to leave the modification time
> such that it isn't seen as being newer that then lex input file.

This is something I've never need to do, but psp_parser.l and
psp_parser.c do have exactly the same timestamps, so perhaps it depends
on your particular make? I wonder if we just touched the psp_parser.c
file to make sure it is at least 1 minute newer than psp_parser.l, and
then commit, if the problem would go away in general?

Jim