[mod_python] Re: best practices; was "is mod_python borked?"

Steve Holden steve at holdenweb.com
Fri Nov 3 23:43:06 EST 2006

Graham Dumpleton wrote:

> On 04/11/2006, at 1:31 AM, Sells, Fred wrote:
>
>> The following is extracted from Graham's reply with questions of my  own
>> added.
>>
>> Note that I use Apache 2.x and python 2.3 and mod_python 3.1.3 on  linux.
>>

>>> As long as you don't run up against the trailing slash and base  url
>>> issues.
>>
>> ;-)
>> I gues I haven't hit them, not sure what they are, are they documented
>> somewhere. Isn't there an Apache module that fixes this?
>

> You can read a bit about it at:
>
>   http://www.modpython.org/pipermail/mod_python/2006-March/020501.html

Wasn't this kind of stuff why publisher was designed in the first place?
I remember having a dialog with Grisha about similar topics, and his
reply essentially being "Most of the web stuff I do uses CGI" :)

> On the other stuff in your email I'll get back to them later. I  should
> really learn to
> shut up though, as my preferred ways of doing things these days  depend on
> version 3.3 of mod_python, which hasn't even been released yet. I keep
> forgetting that most are on versions and generally unwilling to use
> stuff out of
> the repository. :-)

I'd be using bleeding edge mod_python if I could persuade myself to
upgrade to Apache 2.2. In my environment it's not that easy. IIRC I had
to install Apache-with-SSL and then install Apache-without-SSL over it
to get the working installation I have today. Windows can be a real pain.

regards
  Steve
--
Steve Holden       +44 150 684 7255  +1 800 494 3119