[mod_python] RE: is mod_python borked?

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Thu Nov 2 17:54:35 EST 2006

On 11/2/06, Graham Dumpleton <grahamd at dscpl.com.au> wrote:
> > There are (too?) many python web frameworks.
>
> Agreed. What is also annoying is that none are really truly integrated with
> mod_python and the Apache way of doing things. Instead they use the response
> handler phase of mod_python as merely a jumping off point. A framework that
> properly integrates with mod_python and Apache and harnesses the fact that
> there are other modules for Apache which aren't written in Python and which can
> be used would be quite powerful.

Although not fully integrated, at least I know about the Myghty
framework which is "decently" integrated.  It exposes the underlying
mod_python request object and makes it available in it's templating
system.

So I write a lot of mod_python handlers for different phases, etc.
in plain old mod_python; then I create Python objects of things,
stuff them into the req object, and then in Myghty I access those
values just like any other variable; and can even push values back
into the req object too.  Note that I'm not talking about serializing
objects or pushing them into cookies.  The actual python object
I create in a mod_python handler in an early phase is directly
accessible in Myghty.  And it's even pretty easy to link together
the mod_python session object and the Myghty session objects.

But other than that single data point, in general I agree that
mod_python integration is rather poor with other frameworks.
But I'd like to think that it is mainly because mod_python is
just being improved too quickly by Graham for the framework
developers to keep up the same pace.

> One sees various people complain about mod_python. In some cases their claims
> are valid, but in other cases they are wrong and haven't bothered to work out
> how it works. Even when their claims are valid, they often don't understand the
> problem properly. To use mod_python properly also means in a lot of cases
> understanding how Apache works, which many are too lazy to do. For example, the
> difference between SetHandler and AddHandler and what happens when MultiViews
> is enabled.

I really blame the Apache httpd group here.  They do a great job of
documenting all the directives, but a really poor job of documenting
the central "how it works" concepts.  Just trying to find ANY useful
information about the various request processing phases is quite
hard; and even then you'll find a really old out of date unfinished
beta-document on the subject.   I know for me, a lot of mod_python
didn't really click until I did some code diving sessions into the
httpd source code to see what Apache was doing.

I've been thinking about writing up some of this basic how-it-works
stuff for the mod_python wiki.

> Anyway, that has satisfied by need for a Friday rant. :-)

Wow, and those of us on the other side of the globe get
to enjoy it on Thursday.
--
Deron Meranda