[mod_python] clarity on request.form

David Bear David.Bear at asu.edu
Tue May 23 23:31:04 EDT 2006

On Tue, May 23, 2006 at 11:17:45PM -0400, Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> David Bear wrote ..
> > >From the manual, I don't understand the following statement:
> > '''
> > Since a FieldStorage can only be instantiated once per request, one
> > must not attempt to instantiate FieldStorage when using the Publisher
> > handler and should use Request.form instead.
> > '''
> >
> > I've been using publisher as a dispatcher to select the next psp to
> > serve. Does the above statement imply that I cannot do this?  Where is
> > Request.form define? is Request not the same as req?
>
> Add a argument called "req" to your published function and then
> access "req.form".
>
>   def index(req):
>     form = req.form

okay. thats what I thought I could do. however, the paragraph from the
manual tripped me up.

> Unfortunately PSP doesn't play too nice with publisher as far as
> form creation and will create its own if you access "form" from
> inside PSP page. If request is a GET request, although redundantly
> created, the form will still work. If a POST request though, there
> will be no fields as publisher already consumed it.

So, in order to pass req.form to a psp, I would need to copy it to
some object? simple

   thisform = req.form
   vars = thisform
   return psp.PSP('somepsp.html', vars)

won't work? or will the assignment make a copy?

--
David Bear
phone: 	480-965-8257