[mod_python] apache.OK and Cookies

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sun May 21 18:49:30 EDT 2006

Graham Dumpleton wrote ..
> jaba at findyourcore.com wrote ..
> > I have two questions:
> > 1. is 'return apache.OK' really needed? ive gone without it many times,
> > and nothing goes wrong.
>
> What version of mod_python are you using?
>
> Can you clarify whether you are using your own handler, where it would
> should be used, or whether you are using mod_python.publisher where it
> would not, but if it was may simply result in a extraneous "0" at end of
> output that may get overlooked.
>
> In summary, if using your own handler, you should always return it. If
> you don't, you should at least see a warning message in the Apache log
> files and the results may be unpredictable as to how Apache treats the
> result.

Actually, as well as the error in the log file, mod_python should end up
sending an internal server error (500) response back to Apache. If you
aren't seeing this, then I would suspect you aren't writing your own
handler and are using some layer on top where the result may not even be
a status code, or where status codes are treated differently. For
example, in mod_python.publisher, the result is converted to a string
and append to the content. In Vampire, if nothing is returning it is
equivalent to having returned apache.OK.

Thus, thus make sure you indicate what handler you are using as well as
the version of mod_python.