[mod_python] publisher handler not working on FreeBSD, Apache 1.3 and modpython 2.7

Alberto Ruiz al at ruiz.ws
Sat Mar 25 15:54:21 EST 2006

I've looked at the documentation and the faq section but I can't figure
out what I'm doing wrong.   The test script works fine as seen below in
the first <Directory> directive.  But when I try to use the publisher
handler, I get error not found (404).  If I add 'SetHandler', it dumps
the script code.   What am I missing? Or what else can I do to
troubleshoot the issue.  Let me know if I need to post more of the
httpd.conf.

URLS tried:
http://www.brianheadrentals.com/cgi-bin/test.py
http://www.brianheadrentals.com/propman.py

Apache 1.3.33
Python 2.4.2
FreeBSD 4.7-RELEASE-p28
mod_python-2.7.11

<VirtualHost 204.202.22.32:80>
    SSLDisable
    User           brianheadrentals
    Group          brianheadrentals
    ServerName     brianheadrentals.com
    ServerAlias    www.brianheadrentals.com test.brianheadrentals.com
    ServerAdmin    root at brianheadrentals.com
    DocumentRoot   /home/brianheadrentals/www/brianheadrentals.com
    ScriptAlias    /cgi-bin/ "/home/brianheadrentals/www/cgi-bin/"
    <Directory /home/brianheadrentals/www/cgi-bin>
        AllowOverride None
        Options ExecCGI
        AddHandler python-program .py
        PythonHandler test
        PythonDebug On
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>
    <Directory /home/brianheadrentals/www/brianheadrentals.com>
        AllowOverride None
        Options ExecCGI
        AddHandler python-program .py
        #SetHandler mod_python
        PythonHandler mod_python.publisher
        PythonDebug On
        Order allow,deny
        Allow from all
    </Directory>

CustomLog      /usr/local/apache/logs/brianheadrentals/brianheadrentals.com-access_log combined

ErrorLog       /usr/local/apache/logs/brianheadrentals/brianheadrentals.com-error_log
</VirtualHost>