[mod_python] Which Database?

Gustavo Córdova Avila gustavo.cordova at q-voz.com
Fri Mar 17 09:23:30 EST 2006

Mike Looijmans wrote:
> MySQL, using MySQLdb.
>
> Putting in another database engine is very easy, just replace the
> 'connect' call.
> Supports all you'll even need (transactions, distributed processing,
> triggers, ...) and is the obvious choice for many-readers few-writers
> systems.
NOO!! IT IS NOT!!

Well, it could be, "but".  MySQL differs from the SQL standard in
certain small but important ways (please google for more info, let's not
turn this into a PostgreSQL vs. MySQL flamefest), but the thing is that,
if you tie down your project with MySQL, you're going to have to work on
it quite a bit to get it *off* MySQL.

As for me, if the project warrants a database server, it's always been
PostgreSQL/psycopg (or now, psycopg2); in all the years I've been using
it, I've never lost a single byte, and it's always performed admirably
and consistently.

In the area of embedded databases, depending on the case, either it's a
"shelf-kinda-thingy" using bsddb or gdbm, or sqlite, depending on the
specific project's needs.

I've been meaning to do a few experiments with PyTables, but I haven't
found the time.

Salutations!

-gca