[mod_python] mod_python-3.2.8 vs python2.4 _bsddb problems

Emlyn Jones emlynj at gmail.com
Sat Mar 11 14:35:37 EST 2006

Hello,
I'm trying to upgrade mod_python to version 3.2.8 using Python2.4.
The first attempt failed with "no module _bsddb", which I solved by
downloading the bsddb libraries and rebuilding python (had to modify
Modules/Setup manually, is that correct?).
Anyway, now I can import _bsddb from the Python interpreter but I get a
segmentation fault when using mod_python.
The only funny when building mod_python was that first off it complained about
not finding db- (note the -). I had to manually add DBLIBVER to src/Makefile,
which must mean something else went wrong but I can't work out what.
My question is (are):
i)Can I run mod_python without the bsddb dependency? (Surely if it's not built
be default it must be possible to use mod_python without it?)
ii)If not, what magic am I missing to make it play nice with bsddb enabled? I
sure something should of made that Makefile correctly.
Any pointers greatfully received.

Cheers,
Emlyn.