[mod_python] Templaing question

Michael Guerrero m at mguerrero.net
Sun Mar 5 10:28:40 EST 2006

On Sun, 2006-03-05 at 14:13 -0500, Jim Gallacher wrote:

> marinus van aswegen wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > I need some advice; I'm up the creek without a paddle. I wanted to quickly
> > hack together a small project. I like python so, I thought hey lets try
> > mod_python. I got some of the hard stuff sorted quickly e.g. login
> > functions, session handling, etc. When it came to the presentation stuff I
> > had a quick look at some of the templating toolkits out there, they scared
> > me! I wanted something simple so I quickly hacked together a
> >
> > simple templating system, that loaded my html files, replaced the tags I hid
> > in them with the data I wanted send to the browser via req.write. The
> > problem is that it renders the page in a weird way, kinda like it doesn't
> > give the browser a chance to interpret the css. Where do I go from here, I
> > want to give the client tables of data formatted with nice css.
> >
> > Marinus
>
> Hi Marinus,
>
> It's not clear if you're asking for help with debugging your templating
> system or advise on alternatives? I'd suggest taking another look at
> mod_python.psp since it's included in mod_python, and people on this
> list are familiar with it and more likely able to offer help.
>
> Jim

I'm having the same issue as Marinus.

My codes looks like so:

-------------------------------------
from mod_python import apache

def index(req):
    req.content_type = 'text/html'
    req.write(docType()) # a function which puts the doctype in the
page.
    req.write(head(title('Word List') + link('StyleSheet',
'index.css'))) # more functions to put the right tags in.
---------------------------------------

The page it creates looks like:

"http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/loose.dtd">
<head>
<title>Word List</title>
<link rel="StyleSheet" href="index.css" />

</head>
<h1 class="None">
Welcome to Word List
</h1>
Please login or <a href="reg" name="register" title="register"
class="None">
register
</a>

<form action="auth" method="POST" class="None">
<input type="text" name="name" value="" class="None" />
<input type="submit" name="submit" value="Login" class="None" />

</form>

The .css file is in the same directory as the index.py file, yet the
browser won't render the page using the linked .css.

I have tried adding ../, ./, and the absolute path to the .css to no
avail.  When I save the source of the page, and then open it with my
browser it links to the .css properly.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Regards,

Michael C. Guerrero