[mod_python] A newbie question

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Sun Jun 25 11:00:02 EDT 2006

Karl Kobata wrote:
> Initial thought.  To compile and install 3.2.8, I believe needs flex 2.5.33
> or newer.  RHN has flex 2.5.4.  you will need to make sure that this is
> current.

You only need flex if you are modifying psp_parser.l (which *very* few
people will ever do, let alone a newbie) since a copy of psp_parser.c,
which is created by flex, is included with the source distribution.
Configure will generate a warning if it can't find flex, or finds the
wrong version, but as long as you don't touch psp_parser.l flex will
never be called and you won't have a problem.

> I would suggest when using the .configure, that options for flex,
> python, and apxs be fully specified to insure that you know which versions
> have be used to build mod_python.
>
> It may be easier to start with what RHN provides for their servers.  ES
> packages should work on AS.  The latest released for ES is python 2.3.4-14.x
> and mod_python 3.1.3-5.x.
>
> - rename or move flex, and python binaries if applicable from /usr/local/bin
> .  if the default paths have not been modified, this directory will be
> searched before /usr/bin.

As stated above, you don't need to worry about flex.

Jim