[mod_python] cannot configure mod_python 3.2.8

mvanier mvanier at cs.caltech.edu
Mon Jul 17 22:46:08 EDT 2006

I'm trying to compile mod_python 3.2.8 and was surprised to find it failing at
the configure stage:

% configure --with-apxs=/usr/local/packages/apache/bin/apxs
checking for gcc... gcc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether gcc accepts -g... yes
checking for ar... ar
checking for a BSD-compatible install...
/usr/local/packages/coreutils/bin/install -c
checking for main in -lm... yes
checking your blood pressure... a bit high, but we can proceed
configure: checking whether apxs is available...
checking for --with-apxs... /usr/local/packages/apache/bin/apxs executable, good
checking Apache version... 2.2.2
checking for Apache libexec directory... /usr/local/packages/apache/modules
checking for Apache include directory... -I/usr/local/packages/apache/include
checking for --with-python... no
checking for python... /usr/local/packages/python/bin/python
checking Python version... 2.4
checking Python install prefix... /usr/local/packages/python
checking checking where python libraries are installed...
/usr/local/packages/python/lib/python2.4
checking for Py_NewInterpreter in -lpython2.4... yes
checking what libraries Python was linked with... -lpython2.4   -lpthread -ldl
-lutil   -lm
checking linker flags used to link Python...
checking where Python include files are...
-I/usr/local/packages/python/include/python2.4
configure: line 3427: syntax error near unexpected token `('
configure: line 3427: `  as_lineno_3=`(expr $as_lineno_1 + 1) 2>/dev/null`'

My computer is running Debian Linux unstable, and python and apache have been
compiled from source.  Does anyone know why this might be happening?

Thanks in advance,

Mike