[mod_python] odd behaviour of the md5-module in modpy

Deron Meranda deron.meranda at gmail.com
Wed Jul 5 14:00:27 EDT 2006

> Am Mittwoch, 5. Juli 2006 16:19 schrieb Alain Tesio:
> > I had exactly the same problem with values returned by md5 changing
> > only from modpython.
> >
> > On my debian machine it was caused by the installation of the package
> > libmhash2:

It sounds like the culprit may have been found, <http://mhash.sourceforge.net/>

There is also apparently a Python binding to libmhash,
<http://labix.org/python-mhash>.
Do you know if that might have been installed as well an your affected machines?
Perhaps it actually replaces the Python built-in hashes some way, although
I still don't know how the mod_python environment would be different.

It is probably worth reporting this potential "incompatibility" upstream to the
libmhash/python-mhash folks too to see what they may know.
It's not a good thing when cryptographic functions silently fail.
--
Deron Meranda