[mod_python] mod_python tutorial?

Jorey Bump list at joreybump.com
Thu Jan 19 14:15:13 EST 2006

Captain.Fleming wrote:
> Hey, I am a python programmer (duh), but not for that long...
> I have discovered mod_python, yet I do not know a good tutorial of how
> to use it...
> Since I was surprised in the strength of python, I would like to use
> that, in stead of PHP
> Are there any suggestions?

mod_python works at a lower level than PHP. There are many high level
handlers from which to choose. mod_python includes Publisher & PSP. My
recommendation to any beginner is to read the complete (but short)
documentation:

  http://www.modpython.org/live/current/doc-html/

Try out the included handlers before trying to write your own. Take a
look at other handlers that are available. Then choose the one that
suits your style or write your own.

Remember that mod_python attempts to leverage Python, so much of the
functionality is provided by modules in the standard library or in
site-packages, with mod_python providing an interface to Apache. Some
handlers are more transparent than others, depending on their design
goals. This means that you will often be looking outside of mod_python
when trying to find features or functionality similar to PHP.