[mod_python] How to make a handler for static files?

Troy Kruthoff tkruthoff at gmail.com
Tue Feb 28 17:57:46 EST 2006

Graham,

I attended (in fact, I almost killed Scott (the originator of this
thread) driving to a book party).

I was surprised that there were no sessions specifically about
mod_python, so I added a BoF meeting (posted the announcement to this
group).  About 10 people showed up and we talked mostly about how to
successfully deploy mod_python.  Of the group, only a couple of people
were actually using mod_python, the rest were seeking additional
information.  Kevin Lewandowski reported his www.discogs.com site at 2
million page views (a month I think?) running mod_python on 4
load-balanced servers.

The django guys were at the conference (but not the BoF), presented a
couple topics/sessions, and recommended mod_python for deployment.

American Greeting also presented a session, I'll have to check my
notes, but they run a lot of traffic through their online greeting
services.  However, I asked during the Q & A about their use of
mod_python, and they do not use it on their main web sites.

Being new to Python and mod_python and my first PyCon, I can say that
mod_python seems to be known by those doing web-development with
Python.  However, there does not seem to be any references to it being
used for heavy lifting.  I recently had a chat with the co-creator of
feedlounge.com (a pure Python Ajax application) about their
experiences with mod_python (they currently are not using it, do to
ref issues with SQLObject) and he mentioned taking another look at it
appears updates are coming faster.  Some people at the BoF were not
aware that mod_python development is as active as it is.

For what it is worth, I have recently chosen mod_python for the next
generation of my company's product (a high traffic, b2b web
application).  When complete, I hope it will be a great reference site
for others evaluating mod_python.  Early tests show mod_python easliy
handling 500 reqs/sec with the worker and event MPM's serving 100%
db-backed dynamic content on modest hardware.  We created and benched
the same part of our application in PHP and got 200 reqs/sec, 300 with
opcode caching.  Performance isn't even our primary decision point,
but it is nice to know mod_python has it nailed.

Troy