[mod_python] High traffic recommendations

Marc D. Murray marcdm at phronein.com
Thu Feb 16 18:23:26 EST 2006

> I hope (and assume) you used ./configure
> --with-python=/usr/bin/python2.4 (or whatever) when  you compiled
> mod_python.

I did. which is why I had to install 2.4 versions of the modules :)

I've already upgraded the mod_python on the server. Now it reads :

[Thu Feb 16 18:03:09 2006] [notice] Apache/2.0.54 (Debian GNU/Linux)
mod_python/3.2.7 Python/2.4.1 PHP/4.3.10-16 mod_ssl/2.0.54
OpenSSL/0.9.7e mod_perl/1.999.21 Perl/v5.8.4 configured -- resuming
normal operations

I've also switched to using FileSession instead of default
session.Session.

The next question I have now is, should think about replacing the
publisher module with something less feature full? Right now, the only
thing I'm using the publisher handler for is to locate and execute the
correct function from the appropriate module. You know, the traversal
bit.

If I decide to replace the publisher handler, my handler would be
generating the cache keys and checking the cache. If the cache-item
doesn't exist, then import the module based on values in req.parsed_uri
and execute the appropriate function, then req.write the output.

Somehow I believe this would yield better behaviour.

Am I on the right path here? Or is this a waste of time as the Publisher
is already efficient?

Next question, (how) can pyrex help here?

/Marc DM