[mod_python] High traffic recommendations

Marc D. Murray marcdm at phronein.com
Thu Feb 16 15:47:13 EST 2006

On Thu, 2006-02-16 at 12:31 -0500, Jim Gallacher wrote:

> I suspect changing to FileSession may solve some of your problems.
Right now, I'm calling Session.Session(req). So I guess it defaults to
dbm session. And it would put the dbm wherever it feels like.

Changing the cleanup chance was one of the reasons I wanted to subclass
DBMSession

> > Do you guys think I should use the newer version of python when building
> > mod_python?
>
> There are no python 2.4 specific features in mod_python 3.2.7, so from
> that perspective it's not necessary. We generally test with both python
> 2.3.5 and 2.4.
I was asking this question from a performance perspective actually. I
was lazy and didn't bother to read the differences between 2.3 and 2.4.
So when I go to python.org/docs I just use the 2.3 documentation. But is
2.4 any faster/smaller/better?

> BTW, how do you define high traffic? If you mentioned this before I
> missed it.
According to Webalizer for February:
Avg Pages per Day: 99521
Max Pages in 1 day : 310537
And they're all here looking for *.(jpg|zip|wmv) files. I serve those
files out of lighttpd though.

I just installed a python2.4-mod_python3.2.7 on my test server. I didn't
change any configuration options. I had to install 2.4 versions for a
couple modules I use (ldap,lxml,memcache,cheetah), but after that, it
works. So back to the Python2.4 vs Python2.3.5 question.

> Jim

Marc