[mod_python] mod_python 3.2.7 working on Mac OS X 10.4.5

Jeffrey A. Zelt jeffreyz at broadpark.no
Wed Feb 15 09:07:38 EST 2006

I don't know if anyone is interested, but I have mod_python 3.2.7
working for the following setup:

Mac OS X (Darwin) 10.4.5
Python 2.4.2
Apache 2.0.55

I am completely new to mod_python (and python also), but I was not
able to find much information about installing  mod_python on Mac OS
X, so it occurred to me that someone might want to know that things
look OK for the environment I mentioned above.

I should say that by "working" I mean that I have successfully
executed the tutorial in the mod_python manual, in addition to a few
other examples I found in various web searches.  So I am not trying
to say that I have tested everything thoroughly.  Specifically, I
have successfully used the following handlers:

1. mod_python.publisher
2. mod_python.psp
3. mod_python.cgihandler
4. arbitrary .py module (e.g., "myscript.py" from the mod_python manual)

I installed each of mod_python, python & apache from source, using
the following configure options:

1. mod_python 3.2.7:

./configure \
--with-apxs=/usr/local/apache2/bin/apxs \
--with-python=/usr/local/bin/python2.4 \
--with-max-locks=32 \
--with-flex=/usr/bin/flex \
--with-python-src=/usr/local/src/python/Python-2.4.2

2. Python 2.4.2:

./configure --enable-framework

3. Apache 2.0.55:

./configure \
--enable-mods-shared=most \
--enable-ssl \
--with-mpm=worker \
--without-berkeley-db

I hope this might help (or at least encourage) someone.

Jeff