[mod_python] Re: forks, daemons and other beasts

Daniel J. Popowich dpopowich at comcast.net
Tue Feb 14 09:09:16 EST 2006

Mike Looijmans writes:
> Forking off processes from a HTTP deamon just does not sound "right" to
> me.

A hypothetical: the upload takes a minute or so, but post processing
of the content takes (allow me to exaggerate to make a point) one
hour...what user is not going to hit cancel and try again...and
again...and again...then give up and that !@#$ website?  Forking off a
process from apache is no different than, say, spooling the content in
a directory and post processing with a polling cron job.  I contend
forking is cleaner and more intuitive, but it may come down to with
what the programmer is more comfortable.

> It will also prevent your program from ever working on a non-unix
> platform. But that's more a religious thing I guess...

Yup, sure is.  Long live my religion!  ;-)

Daniel Popowich