[mod_python] forks, daemons and other beasts

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sat Feb 11 16:37:19 EST 2006

On 12/02/2006, at 7:39 AM, Daniel Nogradi wrote:

> Anyway, I have the feeling that there must be a more sane and probably
> safe way of achieving what I would like by a much simpler method.
>
> Any ideas?

A quick one.

Run a small separate daemon process which embeds an  XML-RPC
server and have your web pages use XML-RPC to call that daemon
process to trigger off the task. The daemon process can still fork exec
as necessary.

This way you eliminate a fork in Apache child process which may be
problematic because of the socket connections etc that are inherited.