[mod_python] focus on shared hosting?

Nic James Ferrier nferrier at tapsellferrier.co.uk
Thu Dec 28 10:40:30 EST 2006

Graham Dumpleton <grahamd at dscpl.com.au> writes:

> As to whether it is possible to implement a mod_perl like module for
> Python, it is, it can work and it is simpler than one might expect
> as SWIG works quite well for this. I already have basic bindings
> working as proof of concept.

Oooh. Yes please.

> The second option is to implement the new module as a broad enough
> framework that the existing mod_python API could be implemented as a
> personality on top of it. So, one looks at this other way around and
> says that the new module is technically a much better solution and
> bless it as the way forward. The API of mod_python could then be
> supported as just one of many restrictive APIs on top of the new
> module, thus allowing support of older code as well as allowing
> development of new personalities and extension modules for
> Apache. As a further example, WSGI could be just another personality
> on top of the new module.

Oooh. Yes please.

> With a new module which exposes better the Apache APIs, examples of
> things you could do are:
>
>    mod_authn_python - Implement an auth provider using Python code.
>
>    mod_dav_python - Implement a dav provider using Python code.

Oooh! Oooh! Yes please!

(I really need this right now - I've looked at implementing ALL of DAV
but it's such a moronic protocol I really don't want to).

> So, although I may have grand plans for world domination along these
> lines, in practice I don't see it going very far, at least not under
> the umbrella of the existing mod_python project. What exactly I will
> do with these ideas and the code I have already developed I don't
> know yet. I see I have two choices at present. These are to work on
> it myself out of my own site as a personal project purely for
> curiosity value. The second is to get an Apache labs project created
> for it and work on it there. In the latter, because it is under the
> umbrella of the Apache Software Foundation, it doesn't rule out it
> someday perhaps being adopted as an official front line
> project. Doing it as an Apache labs project would also make it
> easier to migrate at least some of the ideas over to mod_python so
> as to improve the existing code base.

I think you should do this in the quickest way possible. I'd probably
help a bit with somethings.

--
Nic Ferrier
http://www.tapsellferrier.co.uk   for all your tapsell ferrier needs