[mod_python] focus on shared hosting?

Anthony anthonybaby at gmail.com
Fri Dec 22 18:15:41 EST 2006

 > I my eyes it is important to find out why people use stuff, why do they
> need mod_python, I find that a lot of people buy a lorry of tools to
> drill a hole in the wall for hanging up a painting.

Certainly. I think a well constructed advocacy site with screencasts
and shiny 3D icons could help filter out people who only think they
need mod_python and direct them to other projects. To be honest, I'm
not sure I *need* mod_python. I'd be happy with python over FastCGI on
Apache.

I believe that most shared hosting consumers that desire mod_python
just want python with the performance of mod_php rather than CGI.
Mod_python, by being associated with Apache and by not requiring
additional software layers like Django, seems like the least complex
choice. I know this is how I became initially attracted to it. I think
this particular crowd can be very happy running python CGI for most
things. It's generally available, although not always advertised.
However, CGI is unfashionable and "slow". *shrugs* In all my python
CGI code, I've found the bottleneck to be the poor design choices I
make at 4 am.

Anthony