[mod_python] focus on shared hosting?

Martijn Moeling martijn at xs4us.nu
Fri Dec 22 06:51:01 EST 2006

Hi,

I am building a mod_pthon application which is growing towards a web
development system (more on that later on). It is on a production
platform for over a year now and fortunately that project had the budget
to get a dedicated server. The hosting provider has been extremely
flexible in supporting a mod_python setup, and I am sure THEY will
support MP in a virtual host environment if I ask them to do so.

I found out that the larger the provider the less they are flexible on
non standard setups or additional software like mod_python. Try and seek
a well established provider which specializes on hosting and not on
internet access and prepare a list of questions/demands before you
contact them like:

Do you support Mod_python (obvious)
Would you if you don't
Can I modify the .htaccess
What extensions within python can I use (MySQLdb for instance)
Etc.

Now a little on my application:

You can find it running on http://www.lokalos.nl (or the
http://www.mkbok.nl is the production example) Which is one of the
domains on my development server. It is based on a self made templating
system and all data (except for some images at the moment) is stored in
a MySQL database, that is templates, template blocks, data. The basic
module can be extended with separate modules, which are stored in the
database to (3.3.0b is used now for module reloading and beta-testing).
The database can contain additional tables which can be altered from
within the backoffice
(http://www.lokalos.nl/lokalosimg/screendump_backoffice.jpg)
(sorry for everything being in Dutch, the screen dump is to get an
impression)

This backoffice turns a browser into a desktop, and the next major thing
I am working on is a python to javascript converter so even the browser
can be programmed with python (with support for all major browsers). The
IDE will be something like Visual basic 6.0 but web based and completely
pythonic.
Users can be members of groups and membership of one adds functionality
to the menu on top.

As you can see in mkbok my system can be used to implement subdomains,
meaning xxx.mkbok.nl or even xxx.yyy.zzz.ppp.mkbok.nl, all database
driven, In the early days of my development I used to refer to my system
as a PMS (Portal Management System, and the original reason for starting
this developmen) but by now it is becoming an application development
system since I get more and more request from customers who want to let
their customers use the backoffice, or as I signed the contract this
morning one of my customers will be relying fully on this system to
implement their business logic and kick out M$ software completely,
replacing XP by linux with firefox and no other software as sort of
relatively dumb terminal with a 2 linux server redundant setup, running
apache, mysql and mod_python (and sendmail).

I am far from releasing this, but I am thinking of making it available
under GPL. Within this system a virtual host setup can be made, leaving
the apache config to no more than a AddHandler or SetHandler

The needed apache Config is:
<VirtualHost *:80>
	DocumentRoot /var/www/html
</VirtualHost>

PythonOptimize On
# New in MP 3.3.0b:
PythonOption mod_python.importer.path ["/usr/bin/PMS"]

<Directory "/var/www/html">
	AddHandler mod_python .py
	PythonHandler generate
	PythonAutoReload On
</Directory>

#access to the backoffice
<Location "/admin/">
	SetHandler mod_pthon
	PythonHandler generate
	PythonAutoReload On
</Location>

(I left out the SSL stuff)

With a request I look at req.connection.host to see which domain is
wanted and I open the corresponding MySQL database and read the right
template.

This story might be an eye opener to some of you and any comments are
welcome. Shoot questions if you want.

Martijn Moeling