[mod_python] Python Web Frameworks

Luis M. González luismg at gmx.net
Thu Aug 24 17:07:19 EDT 2006

I wonder if anyone can tell me what's exactly the benefit of using Django or TurgoGears
compared to working with just plain mod_python.

I've been playing with mod_python for awhile (with publisher, psp or both combined), and frankly speaking,
it feels very powerful, easy and fun (once I got all the installation and configurations correctly done),
and I don't know what else I could get in terms of ease of use and power from these frameworks.

Do I really need a framework on top of mod_python?
Is there anything easier or better with these frameworks than with the standard mp handlers?

As far as I could see, these frameworks offer more solutions such as template languages, ORMs, etc...
but I can also use them with plain mod_python, and I'm not forced to use whatever it comes bundled with
the package. For example, I like very much Cheetah, which plays very well with the publisher handle.
And although I don't feel much need for an ORM, I can use SqlObject or any other if I want.

I see that there are other handy things like automatic admin generation, which looks cool,
but is this a reason enough for adding yet another abstraction layer to my production setup?
It seems to me that all these frameworks do is simply offering all the components bundled together.

Aside from the admin tools or Ajax facilities, what do I really get from using a framework?
Is there any detail I'm not aware of?

Luis