[mod_python] templates in stead of PSP

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Sat Aug 19 08:42:29 EDT 2006

Julien Cigar wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I suggest simpleTAL, it's a port or ZPT which doesn't require Zope.
> It's quite fast (especially compared to Kid), and much more powerful
> than Kid. Despite the fact that I don't like Zope, I must admit that
> their template language is interesting. I especially like the concept of
> "slots", which allow to split up and reuse templates in a very elegant
> manner.
> I haven't looked at the i18n support yet, but I *think* that simpleTAL
> supports the i18n tags ..

It is also possible to use the ZPT from Zope3 separately from Zope as
well. I haven't done much beyond a little experimentation and that was
some time ago. You'll need to google to find more information. I did
find it to be  much slower than PSP (by a factor of 10??? - fuzzy memory).

As much as I like ZPT (and simpleTAL) I decided that the extra
dependency and loss of performance was not worth the effort, but then I
don't need Unicode stuff. ;) I do miss some of the ZPT features though.

Jim