[mod_python] Strange HTTP Response

Iwasso 80s iwasso80s at gmail.com
Thu Sep 29 01:35:25 EDT 2005

We've been having a very strange problem with some variants of IE (on
Windows 98, Server 2003) and Safari (OS X 10.3).  If you aggressively
click around our site one of two things will often happen: the body of
the page will return "0" as the entire result set of the request; or
it will return "0" followed by what appears to be the header data (see
attached gif).  All other requests will return quickly and without
errors.

Some interesting data points:

If we reduce the keep-alive settings on Apache it seems to get worse
(meaning more likely to respond with a "0").  However, if we increase
the keep-alive setting to say around 15 seconds and aggressively click
around the site, the Apache server will become unresponsive.  I'm
assuming all the procs are getting used up before the keep-alive on
available procs has expired (although, that behavior seems fishy as
well).  Throughout all of these tests the cpu, io, etc is only
marginally taxed and no errors are reported in the error log.  We set
up a super simple testing page, with no db, etc and the problem still
persists.
Our config:

Debian Etch (fully updated)
 Apache 2.0.54
 Python 2.3
 Mod_python 3.1
 Clearsilver .9 (but we aren't using cgi functionality)

We'd really appreciate any help we could get.

Thanks in advance for your patience and consideration.