[mod_python] mod_python questions

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Sun Oct 30 17:34:43 EST 2005

nhytro-python at web.de wrote ..

> Hi,
>
> I would like to know if there is a sort of "AppDomain" programming paradigm
> in mod_python as in .net and mod-mono. I would like to code a server with
> a shielded plug-in architecture.

FWIW, in the context of a single Python interpreter instance, there is
no means of effectively shielding code in one Python module from
another, they can all see each other and interfere with each other.

In mod_python however, one can indicate that distinct Python interpreter
instances be created for different segments of the URL namespace. If
this is done and distinct applications run in distinct Python
interpreter instances, one application cannot interfere with another
as there is no default means for communicating between distinct Python
interpreters.

Thus check out the directives PythonInterpreter, PythonInterpPerDirective
and PythonInterpPerDirectory. Use of these directives is probably about
as good as you will get.