[mod_python] Request.sendfile() and symlinks

Jim Gallacher jg.lists at sympatico.ca
Sat Oct 15 09:40:51 EDT 2005

Graham Dumpleton wrote:
> Can't look at it until tomorrow, but check code in src/ requestobject.c
> of mod_python
> source code. The req_sendfile() may well have a bug in it as does a
> stat of  the
> file to get the length and when it tells Apache to send the file it
> passes that length
> to the underlying call as the number of bytes to send. If the stat  call
> is being
> performed on the symlink as it appears and not what it points at, the
> wrong length
> would be used. The contents of the actual file will be sent though as
> the symlink
> will be followed correctly at that point, just not enough is sent.

This would seem to be the case, but I'm not sure it represents a bug in
mod_python since it calls apr_stat() to get the finfo.

  status=apr_stat(&finfo, fname, APR_READ, self->request_rec->pool);

finfo.size is used if len is not specified as a parameter to req_sendfile().

If this is a bug in apr_stat() then perhaps we could use the python
equivalent as a workaround.

As a temporary fix Wim could check the file size in his own code and use
req.sendfile(filename, 0, size)

Regards,
Jim