[mod_python] Session Pickling Error II - 3.2.2b

Nicolas Lehuen nicolas.lehuen at gmail.com
Tue Oct 4 01:40:36 EDT 2005

Hi,

As explained in the error message, function objects can't be pickled. This
is not a mod_python limitation, rather a Python limitation.

There are three workarounds I can think of :

1) If you are using the threaded MPM (but I think you're not), use
MemorySession instead of DBMSession or FileSession. This way, session are
never pickled. The disadvantage is that all sessions are lost as soon as
Apache is restarted, since sessions are stored in RAM and not on disk.

2) Do not store any function object in the session and implement a
workaround by yourself, i.e. try to store a pickable value from which you
can infer the function. This means that you must forget about directly
storing functions in the session and having a kind of naming system (store
the name of the function in the session and fetch the function according to
its name).

3) Customize the pickling / unpickling of the objects you want to store in
the session, using __getstate__ and __setstate__ (see the Python
documentation).

Regards,
Nicolas