[mod_python] mod_python.so: undefined symbol: ap_loaded_modules

Jim Gallacher jpg at jgassociates.ca
Tue Nov 15 20:52:14 EST 2005

Mark Dokter wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I have a messed up python/mod_python installation. First, the apache log gave
> me: [error] make_obcallback: could not import mod_python.apache.\n

This indicates that apache was able to load the mod_python.so apache
module, but can't find the mod_python python modules.

To test this try the following from a commond line interpeter:

 >>> from mod_python import apache

If you see mention of  "ImportError: No module named _apache" then you
are in good shape. If you see something else then it means python can't
find the mod_python modules. Let us know what you get.

The standard location for the mod_python python modules on Debian is
/usr/lib/python2.3/site-packages/mod_python/. If they are not there then
your installation is truly messed up.

> Then I tried to import mod_python from the python interpreter. I noticed
> that /usr/lib/apache2/modules was not in sys.path, so I added it, then I got
> the following error:
> ImportError: ./mod_python.so: undefined symbol: ap_loaded_modules

mod_python.so is an apache module, not a python module, so it makes no
sense to put /usr/lib/apache2/modules in your sys.path.

Check the following FAQs:

http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.002.htp
http://www.modpython.org/FAQ/faqw.py?req=show&file=faq02.001.htp

Graham has a nice article which you may also find useful.

http://www.dscpl.com.au/articles/modpython-001.html

Regards,
Jim