[mod_python] telling mod_python to exit its children

Martin Blais martin.blais at gmail.com
Mon May 23 09:38:53 EDT 2005

hi graham

thanks for the detailed description in your email.

your description of the intricacies of module reloading motivates well
the need for something  simpler like i describe.  we already have to
take care of initialization and finalization at the process level, so
i still feel that working at that level for reloading would be the
best approach.

(my solution indeed does not work in a multithreaded setup.)

(more below)

On 5/22/05, Graham Dumpleton <grahamd at dscpl.com.au> wrote:
> At the moment I have only made this work for importing of file based
> modules and not packages and works only at global scope within a module
> because of what I am trying to achieve and in what context I anticipate
> it should be used. Ie., I do not believe that module reloading should be
> applied to any sort of standard module which is installed as part of Python
> or in the site-packages directory. It should only really be used for modules
> supporting actual request handlers associated with web page delivery.

well, i need to reload my entire source directory, which includes lots
of packages that don't contain request handlers.  i agree that the
reloader need not check for stuff in site-packages and in the python
lib.  what i do now is i give the reloader a list of root directories
to check for (it checks goes through checking the prefixes of the
files in sys.modules)

> I'll see if I can get all the Vampire module importing stuff documented
> over the next week along with all the issues which have influenced it.
> Keep an eye out on the articles section of the Vampire web site.

thanks

cheers,