[mod_python] restricting access to certain variables usingmod_python.publisher

Graham Dumpleton grahamd at dscpl.com.au
Mon Mar 14 20:07:54 EST 2005

You have found a bug in mod_python.publisher. It shouldn't be visible,
but the code which handles defaulting to "index.py" doesn't reapply the
rule which stops access to "_" variables.

Ie., early in code in publisher.py, it has a check:

    # if any part of the path begins with "_", abort
    if func_path[0] == '_' or func_path.count("._"):
        raise apache.SERVER_RETURN, apache.HTTP_NOT_FOUND

After that point though it has:

    try:
        module = apache.import_module(module_name,
                                      autoreload=autoreload,
                                      log=log,
                                      path=[path])
    except ImportError:
        et, ev, etb = sys.exc_info()
        # try again, using default module, perhaps this is a
        # /directory/function (as opposed to /directory/module/function)
        func_path = module_name
        module_name = "index"
        try:
            module = apache.import_module(module_name,
                                          autoreload=autoreload,
                                          log=log,
                                          path=[path])
        except ImportError:
            # raise the original exception
            raise et, ev, etb

Note how it resets the value of func_path. After that the code goes on
to reolve the object, but the new func_path has skipped the check.

I believe the fix would be for the "_" check to be after the import and
not before.

The only workaround you would have in the short term is not to use
an "index.py" file and always name it something different.

This is actually a security hole because any __auth__ stuff would
be visible and thus people could work out login/passwd. This may
require another security fix release of mod_python. :-(

Graham

Jan Huelsbergen wrote ..