[mod_python] Threading and apache.import_module

Nicolas Lehuen nicolas.lehuen at gmail.com
Mon Jun 20 02:11:38 EDT 2005

2005/6/20, Graham Dumpleton <grahamd at dscpl.com.au>:
> michael bayer wrote ..
> > I just searched around for this, and hey youre right, it does.
> > Myghty imports "in-memory" modules in a similar way (i.e. via
> > imp.new_module + exec)....but I hadnt thought of just bypassing
> > sys.modules altogether.  A "request-level" module really doesnt need
> > to be generally importable so that now makes sense.
>
> Unfortunately, if you want an alternate module import system to support
> packages in a useful way, you don't have a choice but to still place loaded
> modules into sys.modules. The key though is knowing that it isn't actually
> necessary to name the module with its true module name. It can instead
> be an arbitrary name based on the path name to the ".py" file. The name
> can't be too long though as you run up against name length restrictions
> in Python. Something like a md5 hexdigest of the full pathname generally
> works okay. That said, the only problem with trying to support packages
> is that dependency management can become hellish. It isn't enough to
> simply reload the single file in a package which has changed, you must
> reload the whole package because of the interdependencies that can exist
> between the modules in the package. Also, if only one file in the package
> is changed, anything dependent on any part of the module will need to
> be reloaded at the next opportunity.

Regarding the naming of the package, don't give a module the same name
as its filename, that is to say with slashes and dots. It seems that
this breaks some behaviour of the Python import system, that is to say
that some imports that are performed in the dynamically loaded module
misteriously fail. I use a re.sub(r'\W+','_',filename) and everything
is OK. That being said, I didn't know about name length restrictions
so I have to correct my code to cope with this issue.