[mod_python] Question about Session security

dharana dharana at dharana.net
Wed Jun 15 17:55:55 EDT 2005

Just for the record. In Spain millions of users are forced to go throught our
ISP's forced proxies. I have to mess with HTTP_X_FORWARDED_FOR and other HTTP
headers to find their real IP.

If someone is worried about collisions they could always subclass session and
make their own session_id generator function. It could also be possible to let
them choose a hash function (md5, sha1, whirlpool, etc)

I don't think adding the IP to make it harder to find collisions is really so
much of an advantage, think of NAT users.

http://www.google.com/search?q=telefonica%20proxies%20problems

Jim Gallacher wrote:
> Jim Gallacher wrote:
>
>> Graham Dumpleton wrote:

>>> You can use req.connection to find the users incoming IP address and
>>> save that in the session yourself for later checking.
>>>
>>> Ie., not a prepackaged check, but the bits are there for you to do it
>>> yourself in the manner you need.
>>

>> Since I'm (still) messing with the session code, maybe this is worth
>> building this into the base code now? If it is a security issue let's
>> address it and save users the worry and bother of implementing their own.
>>

> Oh and another thing that's always bother me just a little - md5
> collisions of the generated session id's. I know the probability of a
> collision is extremely low, but it is finite. Checking an existing
> session against the ip would eliminate any chance of a collision (I think).
>
> Regards,
> Jim

dharana